Sunday, March 2, 2014

Medical Malady: Survival In A Minefield Of Medical Mistakes

In the third week of February I was running a booth for Merit Travel at the Calgary Teachers' Convention when I happened to meet Prad Chadhuri.  I had taught Prad's son Bobby twenty five years ago who was one of my star debater's when I was an English teacher at Western Canada. Bobby's promising medical career was abruptly cut short when he suffered anaphylactic shock by unwittingly consuming food laced with peanuts that would cause him to be placed into a coma with devastating results .  Prad Chauduri has recently published a book documenting the medical tragedy of Bobby's treatment and the medical malpractice that is not as uncommon as one thinks.  The book is called:   Medical Malady Survival In A Minefield Of Medical Mistakes. ISBN 978-0-9919404-1-7
I read the book in one evening and it is written from the point of view of  Bobby's father who through thorough investigation has shown the backroom politics of the medical profession in collusion with legal professionals whose main goal is to profit from medical malpractice where the victim is further victimized.   I read the book and knowing all the major players in this story was shocked of how our legal and medical system has failed Bobby.   Am I surprised? No.  I saw Bobby after the convention who was speaking at the Convention about his condition. Although now confined to a wheel chair, he was in good spirits. The lesson, I learned from this book, is that if you ever become a victim of medical malpractice don't trust the doctors who do not want to pay civil damages and who will quickly get a lawyer. And finally, get yourself a reputable lawyer with integrity or you will get sold down the river.   Justice is achieved by  those who have the most money and can afford the best legal counsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment