Sunday, March 30, 2014

March Snow Fall In Spring

Today is Sunday March 30 and it is still snowing. Last week on Saturday, March 22 it was snowing and temperature was dropping to around  minus 9 Celcius when I went out to my greenhouse around 4 pm in the afternoon to discover my breaker had blown because of a short circuit in my greenhouse. One of my power bars connecting the fish tanks with electricity had blown and fused one of the electrical plugs to the power bar that caused the breaker to blow. I went downstairs to the breaker box and found that breaker had been tripped but it would not reset. The breaker was broken. For over an hour I tried to reset the breaker with no success. I finally phoned a friend who came over and rewired a wire into an empty breaker.  In two hours the temperature in the greenhouse had dropped to 2 Celcius.  With the breaker fixed and reset, the furnace in the greenhouse kicked in and the temperature rose to 10 degrees above Celcius.  I was fortunate not to have lost all the tropical fish, a the orchids, fig trees, house plants and bedding plants to the cold.  The next day, I had someone come and change the default breaker to avoid a future short in the box.  I took  a short video of the greenhouse to take inventory of what was saved in the greenhouse.  As you can see although it is still winter outside, spring has begun in the greenhouse and the fig trees are beginning to leaf out.

No comments:

Post a Comment