Monday, January 20, 2014

Laura and Ainsley

Now that I am a retired school teacher, I have embarked on other careers to fill the void of not having to go to school to teach on a regular basis. I am now a independent travel agent for Merit Travel , the largest independent travel company in Canada with over 40 locations.  I am also studying to pass my ICCRC full skills exam to become a certified immigration agent. I also spend time in my greenhouse experimenting with trying to breed tropical fish. I have 9 tropical fish tanks in my greenhouse. Today, I decided to visit two of my former teaching colleagues at Forest Lawn High. In my last two years of teaching, I was located in the science wing because I was teaching horticulture in the greenhouse and biology lab. I taught across the hall from two science teachers----Ainsley T. and Laura K. The two lady teachers would walk into my horticulture class during their preparation periods to see what kind of lessons I was teaching.  I taught floral arrangements,  propagation of tropical house plants and bedding plants. I even showed the students how to make home made apple pies that we baked in the commercial cooking ovens.  When we made flower bouquets for sale, I would periodically send my students to deliver complimentary bouquets to Laura and Ainsley which caused them to squeal with delight. Their students thought I was trying to date them which was hilarious. During my preparation period, I would return the favor and walk into their classes to observe their science lessons and was impressed with their teaching approach to teaching chemistry and biology. These two ladies are two great teachers who are able to motivate students to learn in an enjoyable environment. I do not miss the politics of teaching but I do miss the camaraderie of my fellow teachers so I just dropped by during exam week to visit Laura and Ainsley who I consider good friends even though they are much younger than me we shared many laughs over the five years that we taught together.

No comments:

Post a Comment