Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Jewel Cichlids

I purchased five jewel cichlids from Gold's Aquarium and placed them in a five gallon aquarium.  For the environment in the aquarium, I placed a small gravel substrate on the bottom. Since Cichlids like to hide , placed a limestone rock with holes in front of a small clay pot turned on its side to simulate a cave. At the other end of the aquarium , I placed a ceramic blue cup on its side to simulate another cave. An alpha male and an alpha female paired up. The male would chase the female around the tank and would bend his body in front of the female in a courtship ritual. The two cichlids took refuge in the clay pot where the female laid her eggs that were fertilized by the male. The female hovered over the eggs to protect them from being eaten by the other cichlids. Eventually, the male and female alpha cichlids harassed and bit the three other cichlids who all eventually died. I would find a dead cichlid once a week floating in the tank and I would fish it out. I did not know that I had a breeding pair in the tank and just assumed that the cichlids were demonstrating their typical aggressive behaviour to one another.  Over 21 days, the three cichlids were killed and shortly after the eggs hatched and low and behold swimming on the bottom of the tank were 100 fish fry cichlids with the female and male hovering over the fry in a protective posture. The two adults did not eat their young and still were in their parental protective mode. I netted out the two parents and placed them in my large tank with my other cichlids and they immediately set up a territory in their new environment.  I purchased a package of brine shrimp that is microscopic food for the cichlid fish fry who need nourishment once their egg yolk sacks have disappeared. I will feed the cichlid fry the microscopic brine shrimp for one week until they will be a large enough size to eat fine dry fish flakes.   With a 100 fish fry, I will eventually need to get another tank as the fish grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment