Monday, November 11, 2013

Greenhouse

I managed to find some nice metal shelving for my greenhouse on which to place my various plants in specific micro-climates. I have placed my cattleya orchids that like high light on the top shelves and the cooler growing cymbidiums next to the window. In the spring , I will start the bedding plants on the middle shelf.  I will be pruning my fig trees down to about 4 feet so they can grow new foliage next year.  I have place water barrels in the greenhouse for humidity, temperature control and water for the plants. I have eight tropical fish tanks in the greenhouse and use the fish water to water the orchids.  I have a couple of worm composters to recycle the leaves and other vegetable matter.  I am also going to experiment in growing plants with different soil mixtures.

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of "Aquapoics"?

    I just noticed you said you were feeding your plants with the fish water and spoke about experimenting with different soil mixes etc. Well I thought it worth mentioning that there is a "system" of growing plants in gravel/water and cycling the fish water through the gravel beds, so it cleans the water for the fish and feeds the plants in the process.

    Let me know if you need any further information on the subject.

    Loving the fruit tree's on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy: I have heard of aquaponics. I would be interested in learning more how to do this on a small scale. I just saw an example of an aqauponics project with a 200 gallon tank of water with a five foot by three foot clay pellet box on top of the tank that circulates the water. This project is a little too large. I would be content with a 40 gallon aquarium tank of circulating water with tropical fish in the tank and the growing clay pellets on top of the tank.

      Delete