Monday, June 17, 2013

Horticulture Blogsite

I am retiring from teaching . As a teacher, I have taught for 30 years. Life is a series of chapters and it is time to turn the page and begin the last chapters outside the classroom. I will dabble in horticultural projects and will eventually become a certified Canadian immigration agent. When I become an immigration agent, I will start an immigration blogsite.  After teaching horticulture, I realize there is a need to share knowledge with the general public with respect to creating an environmentally friendly lifestyle. In our urban world, it is possible to create small gardens and create small eco-friendly environments by understanding the micro-environments that surrounds all of humanity. I have created a blogsite on horticulture to share my green knowledge that I learned from my grandfather and father who grew their own produce in their gardens to feed our families.
The horticulture blogsite:    http://www.mrleeshortilcultureblogsite.blogspot.ca

In the school greenhouse where I teach there is tulip bulb that is at least 10 years old. It was purchased by a former horticulture teacher named Bill Turner. Bill purchased the bulb for $75 which was a good sum of money to spend on one bulb.  Bill grew the bulb into a mature plant and was able to bloom the plant occasionally.  Mr. Turner started the horticulture program as a locally developed course 25 years ago and began the first program by building cold frames to grow plants on the school grounds. When the school was renovated, Bill designed the indoor greenhouse that exists in the school today.  After retiring for only  five years Bill Turner contracted ALS and within year he passed away. I found Bill's tulip plant growing in the greenhouse . A former Horticulture teacher told me about Bill's plant and that the tulip liked a particular location in the greenhouse.  I was careful to keep the tulip in its favorite location and not to disturb its micro-climate.  On the first anniversary of Bill's passing, I walked into the greenhouse to find the tulip in full bloom with it's multi-floral orange red bloom. From that point on, I have called it's Bill's flower.   Last week, I noticed a small spike forming at the base of the tulip . Within a week the spike has grown ten inches and is now in full bloom.  I have had the privilege of watching this flower bloom twice.  The flower seems to be thanking me by blooming once more before I leave. I hope the legacy of this flower remains for others to enjoy in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment