Sunday, October 21, 2012

Planking by the Sun Flowers

I was given a Horticulture class to teach in January of 2012. Our school has a  beautiful greenhouse on the second floor. The school has an enclosed  exterior courtyard that due to neglect has become overgrown with weeds and the shrubery needs to be pruned. In the spring, I purchased shovels, rakes, hedge clippers, wheel barrows, and sprinklers with the purpose of maintaining the courtyard. Unfortunately, I ran out of time because the class is busy maintaining the bedding plants that we propagated and sold from the greenhouse. Moreover, I have a commercial flower chiller and a wholesale license to purchase cut flowers, so the students are also preoccupied with flower arrangements. In June , as an experiment, I planted a small garden to see how the garden would keep the weeds in check. I planted potatoes, lettuce, radishes, carrots and sunflowers.  When school recommenced in September, the sunflowers has grown over six feet. The weeds had been kept in check. The remainder of the flower beds were overgrown with weeds that were three to four feet tall. I decided to take a picture of myself planking in front of the sunflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment