Sunday, June 17, 2012

Graduations

The month of May and June is a busy time for graduations. I attended our High School Graduation at the Jubilee Auditorium. As the teachers were getting our gowns ,I stopped to take a photo with one of my former ESL students. Thie girl came to Canada as a sponsored refugee from Myanmar on human and compassionate grounds because her ethnic group the Karen are being ethnically cleansed out of Myanmar by the Burmese. The Karen who have come to Canada are literally taken out of the jungle and transplanted into Canada. I admire the resiliency of the children of these refugees. The girl you see with me just turned 20 came here at the age of 17 and could not speak a word of English. Today she is graduating from High school and is going to post-secondary to become a hair stylist.

No comments:

Post a Comment